6.26.2009

Green Thumbs Up.

Let it be known that I do not have what you would call a 'green thumb'. Don't get me wrong...love love love flowers and plants (that could be a hint for someone)...just have no talent at keeping them alive. And before you ask the obvious questions of 'well do you water them, do you give them sunshine, do you feed them & give them occasional love?'...the answers to all of the those are yes! I took biology class, I know what needs to be done, at minimum. So, in my pursuit to find some new hobbies, I've been having some 'proud mama' moments. As the Iowa weather finally freed itself from winter back in March/April, I found myself at the local flowering store. We needed to spruce up our back deck & so I gathered some colorful elements & brought them home. And I started small...this wasn't one of those 'go big or go home' moments. Trying hard to fight my initial doubt that these would even last a week, I potted those babies & gave them some H20 love. To my surprise, I've successfully maintained life in my flowers. Some of you are probably thinking this is so lame & pathetic...but it feels like a major accomplishment for me! With new life coming into my life all over the place this year...I can't help but feel like a proud mama. I haven't been too happy with the recent humidity that is causing the pretty little petals to crinkle up though. So, if anyone has tips, bring 'em on...I'm obviously a virgin...at gardening =)

2 comments:

  1. I also SO suck at keeping things that are supposed to be "easy to care for" alive. I haven't had much luck with pretty things like flowers, with the exception of some boxwood bushes and a lilac bush. The raspberries are easy to grow, but they are kinda like ferns....you could mow those darn things over and they'd come back! Keep trying! Maybe one of us will find the secret.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha! Virgin gardener! My thumb was black 'til I moved into our current house. I recommend spider plants for indoors. They don't need much attention, water, or sunshine. For humidity, succulents work best, or other tropical plants like bromeliads, etc. My favorite right now is my jade plant and my wandering jew vines (that's really what they're called.) I just leave them on the back deck and they THRIVE in the heat and humidity!

    ReplyDelete