5.31.2010

O's First Camping Trip.

Yep...finally bit the bullet, loaded up the car with everything but the Boppy & the kitchen sink & headed up valley through the mountains.  We kept it a close location just in case it became a disaster...which I'm glad we did because although the days were fabulous weather...after the sun ducked under the  mountain side...holy brrrskies!  We basked in the sun during the day & woke up to frost & icicles!  Icicles! Yes!  But let's back it up a bit...we (ok I) was a bit nervous about the whole thing not only because it's bear country, but Oliver has been working on sprouting that second tooth...it was close, but still giving him fussy bouts!  I mean...fuuuuuuussssssyy =)  We arrived late afternoon & began setting up camp.  I think Oliver cried & or whined due to his painful gums about 75% of the time before he went to bed.  Which in turn, made me want to pack up & head home before dark set in!  We foraged on through though & Oliver actually slept better than we did.  Of course we were more concerned of him being warm enough that we didn't think enough about ourselves & let me tell ya...it was a MISERABLE night!  MISERABLE!  Neither Michael nor I got any sleep, which left us a bit cranky come the morning.  I was up before...BEFORE the sun came up...ring the alarms people...that doesn't happen!  I actually found myself laying the frigid tundra of a tent praying for the morning to come!  Anyway, the sun popped back up over the mountain & it was like night & day...literally I suppose.  It warmed up & we were on with our day...but not before I swore I was NOT going to pretend to sleep through another night without more warmth.  Oliver & I hopped in the car & headed back home for some additonal supplies to toast our frozen buns.  We were gone for about 3 hours & Michael got some quality fishing time in...& I got some quality soul searching in travelling through the mountains sipping on mountain brewed coffee & listening to talk radio.  And Oliver saw some deer in the middle of the road & baby foxes skipping around.  The drive through the mountains in the morning can actually be very relaxing & refreshing...ok THERE I said it...it happened once...let's not get out of hand because it won't be a daily thing.  Mama still prefers a warm comfy bed to driving around at six thirty aM ;)  Once we got back up to our campsite, we lunched & headed out for a hike. 

Hiking in bear country gets me all sorts of anxious, so needless to say I was like a scared pup the whole time despite wanting to go in the first place.  I have been so eager to get out & hike, but I always freak myself out right before I hit the trail.  Guess it's just something I'm going to have to get over, either that or start carrying a shotgun...yeah right!  We survived the trail hike & I even came out of it with some much needed John Denver sunshine on my shoulders.  The second night went a lot better & some sleep was had by all.  Oliver did SO good on his first camping trip...but I think he was excited to get home to his jumper & toys!  And Michael & I were happy to get home to a warm shower!  (Yeah no showers!  That was a fun detail Mike threw at me as we were heading out the door...remember folks...I'm a true camper in training). 

Here are our trip photos...enjoy!







Oliver claimed his space right away.


Our campsite along the Frying Pan River.












Teeth!  The best photo I have been able to get thus far.














A little teething episode...


Good morning icicles!








Ruedi Resevoir . rioveseR ideuR






Random split boulder in the middle of the woods.






Sap.












Mike's catch of the day =)  Actually, he did catch ONE fish...didn't see it with my own eyes...but I took his word for it because he threw it back.


Something we found on our hike...maybe our next new home.


Long day...time to relax...




Our Family Photos.





No comments:

Post a Comment