6.28.2010

A Weekend of Full of Firsts.

I love blogging about Oliver's firsts, & we definately had some brewing here over the weekend!!!  So, first of all, Michael had Friday off, & he decided it was going to be Daddy & Son's first fishing outing together.  I wasn't exactly sure how this was going to go down...but he loaded up the fishing gear, the backpack & the Baby & took off up the mountains.  They were gone all afternoon & I cleaned the entire house...amazing what can be done sans the guys!  When they got back...there were no fish & no fishing injuries...for some reason I just had a nightmare about something happening (Mike you are a responsible Daddy it's nothing against you)!!!  They had a great time & Mike said that Oliver slept about 80% of the time...he has the touch because I would've never gotten this sort of cooperation I'm sure =)  Oh!  And Oliver picked up his first hitchhiker...WHAT?!?!  That was my reaction.  Mike explained that a trail guide was walking along the road & Mike offered him a ride, since he was only going about a mile down & just hopped in the back of the pickup...& apparently Oliver was having NONE OF THAT!  Mike said he screamed & cried the whole time the "stranger" was in the back end.  A very protective, sensitive soul he has ;)  


And, the fish weren't biting that day either...so Mike says.  In the time that I've spent with Mike, he has always attempted fishing...but unfortunately has never brought any fish home.  But, Saturday he got up early & headed back to the ole fishing hole, with an ounce of good luck & some more probable bate...he came home with two.  Yay for Mikey...he was so proud of himself, as was I ;)  Fishing just isn't the most riveting thing to me...especially if I have to just sit & watch...but the main point here...Daddy caught his first Colorado fish & only fish in the history of Michaeleyna, so I guess it IS possible.  A couple of brown trout & I even tried it off the grill...& it wasn't half bad.

Mikey's Fishies.


RANDOMS that don't have anything to do with anything that I keep forgetting to post... 
I think this is the chunkiest photo of Oliver to date =)
Love you peanut.


Already trying to claim the remote...like a typical male.


















Ok...I'll keep reporting on the firsts.  With our weather finally clearing on Sunday, I was bound & determined to get our little H2o lover to the swimming pool.  I was recommended the pool up in Redstone...approx 20-25 miles from Basalt.  We have travelled up that way before (recall the waterfall shots around five.mo).  The Redstone Inn boasts a nice pool that's secluded, great mountain scenery & not as busy as the hot springs would be, so we packed up the family wheels & headed towards Redstone on our clear, beautiful sunshiny day.  As we approached Redstone, we noticed the clouds getting thicker & thicker & then darker & darker was the sky.  We parked our car when we arrived & it started sprinkling...then raining...& lightning...& thundering...& slushing...& then hailing!  Are you kidding me?!?!  So, instead of our first swimming excursion with Oliver, we experienced our first hailstorm in June in these lovely mountains.  Boo.

And now... the newest first in Oliver's developmental history...crawling.  He had been getting up onto all fours for a couple weeks now.  And he started to take a couple of "steps" here & there, but mostly getting fussy & screeching in frustration.  Then today, he cruised from the living room...straight to the door.  And by my poorly estimated guess on the distance, I would say it was about 12 feet.  And let's rewind back to his destination...the door...hmmmmmmmph?!  So proud of his new skill...& also a little set off that in no time he's going to be that little boy terrorizing the neighborhood, running around in the park with popsicle juice all over his shirt, dirt from head to toe & a frog in his pocket!  Where's the chicken brake because this bus needs to slow down?!  =)  I will get some video footage for sure...just need to let it sink in a little more before doing so.


I have ended the secret mental crib bumper debate that's been going on in my head ever since I put the thing in there.  Now that Oliver is more of a mover...I got that thing outta there!  But it's funny how those little slats are a magnet for his chunkness to be stuck through.  Love this!!!


And our final first was our trip to the library here in Basalt.  I know...not a very big deal, but ever since our new nighttime routine, I've wanted to get to the library to stock up on some new reads.  The new Basalt Library just opened in January of this year & with the "green" building plans it's very hip & energy savvy.  They offer a reading program every Monday at 10 aM, but we've yet to attend...Mondays are always spent grumbling about the new week & lack of Daddy time, so we tend to spend Mondays in jammies doing a lot of napping =)  Ok okay...we'll get to story time soon!!!




Oliver's First Library Books - - ---
Ollie the Stomper by Olivier Dunrea
Yertle the Turtle & Other Stories by Dr. Seuss
Good Night, Baby Ruby by Rohan Henry
Lemons Are Not Red by Laura Vaccaro Seeger
Old MacDonald had a Woodshop by Lisa Shulman

4 comments:

  1. Henry is constantly putting his legs out the slats of his crib ir just resting his feet on them! I don't know what kind of weird baby thing it is, but he must find it reassuring or something. Awhile ago, he got his chubby thighs stuck in them and I had to pull them out! Great pics of O! Hope all is well in Colorado!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your randome shots of Oliver! Especially the one where he is sooo happy watching the mixer. And the one in his little Carhartts! Adoroable. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, love the doo rag picture and Carhart overalls.... ahhhh love it! He looks like he is planning his next adventure sitting in the stroller! So glad you discovered the library... story hour is so much fun at any age! Great shots on all of him!!! Love the randomness as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. your pictures are always so awesome.. I will take that cookie dough over the fish any day!

    ReplyDelete